Jalapeno Bacon Au Gratin
- 4 large russet potatoes – par boiled peeled and sliced thin
- 2 large yellow or white onions – sliced in rounds
- 5 jalapeno’s – seeded and sliced in strips
- 12 slices of bacon – fried crisp
- ½ stick butter
- 1 pkg. cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 4 cups whole milk
- ¼ cups flour
- garlic salt
- Sautee onions and jalapenos in bacon drippings until very soft. Heat milk and set aside. In sauce pan melt butter add flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Add milk – stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
- Add in the cream cheese. Once the cream cheese is melted take off heat and stir in the cheddar cheese. Correct seasonings. Butter a casserole dish.
- Layer potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Add some of the onion/jalapeno mixture. Add some of the cheese sauce, top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350 for 30 – 45 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.