Traditional Macaroni and Cheese
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or penne
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces Gruyere grated (2 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar grated (2 cups)
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed and at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar grated
- 2 cups corn flakes
- pinch pepper
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 dish and set aside.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well and pour into prepared dish.
- Using a microwave or a small sauce pan, heat the milk to a simmer, making sure not to boil. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cubed cream cheese until melted. Add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, and mustard. Pour the sauce into the cooked macaroni and stir well.
- In a gallon ziplock bag, combine the corn flakes, salt, pepper and lightly crush. Sprinkle on the top of pasta, top with remaining cheddar cheese, and dot with reserved 2 tablespoons butter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top. Enjoy!