All Butter Pie Dough
Servings 1 9” pie crust
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour 6 ¼ ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter separated
- ¼ cup ice water
- Grate 2 tablespoons butter and place in the freezer. Cut remaining butter into small cubes, keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup flour, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and ½ teaspoon salt. Add cubed butter and break/pinch butter into small pea sized pieces. Stir in remaining flour until evenly distributed. Add grated butter and toss until the butter is coated with flour.
- Stir in ice cold water, 2 tablespoons at a time until mixture comes together. Form a ball and press into a disk, smooth the edges, cover with plastic wrap and chill two hours. Before rolling, let chilled dough sit on counter to soften for 10 minutes.
- On a well-floured counter, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Place into a 9” pie plate, trim the edge to a ½ inch overhang and tuck under itself. Crimp edge. Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lined chilled pie shell with parchment paper, covering edges, and fill with pie weights. Bake 25 – 30 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights, rotate the pie plate and continue to bake until golden brown; 10 to 15 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.