Last Updated on June 27, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
Banana pudding is a classic dessert that never fails to bring smiles and satisfy cravings. This recipe for Banana Pudding captures the essence of this beloved dessert, with its layers of creamy custard, ripe bananas, and crunchy vanilla wafers. The combination of flavors and textures creates a truly heavenly experience that will leave you wanting more. So, gather your loved ones, prepare a batch of this delightful treat, and indulge in the nostalgic joy that comes with each spoonful of creamy goodness. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 cups half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7 large bananas ripe
- 1 12-ounce box vanilla wafers
- 1 cup heavy cream chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk 1⁄2 cup sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch in medium bowl until smooth. Bring half-and-half, remaining sugar, and salt to simmer over medium heat in large saucepan. Whisk 1⁄2 cup simmering half- and-half mixture into egg yolk mixture. Slowly whisk tempered yolk mixture into saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick and large bubbles appear at surface, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cut bananas into 1⁄4-inch slices. Spoon one-quarter of pudding into 3-quart trifle dish and top with layer of cookies, layer of sliced bananas, and another layer of cookies. Repeat twice, ending with pudding. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding and refrigerate until wafers have softened, at least 8 hours or up to 2 days.
Top and Serve
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. (Whipped cream can be refrigerated for 4 hours.) Top banana pudding with whipped cream. Serve.