Last Updated on June 27, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
When it comes to comfort food, mashed potatoes are a true crowd-pleaser. But why settle for plain mashed potatoes when you can elevate them with a delicious twist? In this blog post, we’ll share with you our irresistible Chunky Chipotle Mashed Potatoes recipe that combines the creaminess of mashed potatoes with the smoky heat of chipotle peppers. Get ready to take your taste buds on a flavor-packed journey with every spoonful of these delectable spuds. Enjoy!
Chunky Chipotle Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 scallions
- 1 chile from chipotles in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. sauce from chipotles in adobo sauce optional
- 1/2 cup milk
- kosher or coarse sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse and quarter the potatoes. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes over medium- high heat, or until thoroughly cooked and soft. Drain.
- In a large, heavy skillet set over medium heat, add the chunks of butter. Once it melts and begins to bubble, stir in the scallions and cook for a couple of minutes until they soften. Add the chopped chipotle chile and combine well. Add the cooked potatoes along with the milk.
- Using a potato masher or a wooden spoon, mash the potatoes roughly as you mix them with the chipotle and scallion mixture. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve hot.