Servings 12 cinnamon rolls
- 2 cups strong white/bread flour, plus extra for dusting 254 grams
- 2 cups plain/all-purpose flour 250 grams
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt 6 grams
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fast-action/instant yeast 4 grams (1 packet)
- ⅔ cup warm water (105°F/40°C to 110°F/43°C) 160 grams
- ½ cup whole milk 120 grams
- 1 large egg 50 grams
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 42 grams
- Flavourless oil for greasing
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter 126 grams
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar 110 grams
- ¼ cup plain/all-purpose flour 31 grams
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon 12 grams
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom 2 grams
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 3 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all Cinnamon Filling ingredients. (Use your hands as that helps to soften the butter and combine the ingredients more quickly.)
Instructions for Dough:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, add flours. Whisk in sugar, salt, and cardamom. Add yeast, and whisk into flour mixture. With mixer on low speed, add water, milk, and egg. Increase speed to medium, and add softened butter. Beat until a smooth, elastic dough forms, about 15 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise until doubled in size (this will take about an hour but it could be longer if your kitchen is cool).
- On a floured workspace, roll dough into a rectangle of about 15×17 inches. using an offset spatula, spread Cinnamon Filling all over dough. Roll up in a tight spiral. (As you roll, pull toward you to create this tight spiral.) Push each end toward center to compress roll. Trim off messy ends, then cut roll into 12 equal slices. (dental floss works best for this – slide under the dough to where I want to cut, then bring across the two ends, up and over the dough, pulling it tight to cut through—just like a cheese wire.) Place buns, spiral side up, in a 13×9-inch (33×22-centimeter) baking pan, leaving a little space between each one. Allow to rise until buns are swollen and wobble slightly when touched, about 30 minutes.
Instructions for Cream Cheese Icing:
- Whisk all ingredients together in bowl until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bake until risen and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. As soon as buns come out of the oven, top with glaze, serve, and enjoy!