Last Updated on June 27, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
Nothing beats the warm and comforting flavors of a creamy chicken pot pie. This timeless dish combines tender chicken, vibrant vegetables, and a luscious sauce, all enveloped in a flaky crust. Whether you’re seeking a comforting family meal or a crowd-pleasing dinner, our chicken pot pie recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings.
Our chicken pot pie recipe is the epitome of comfort food, providing a satisfying and flavorful meal that warms both the body and soul. With its creamy filling, tender chicken, and flaky crust, this classic dish never fails to bring a smile to faces around the table. Enhance your dining experience by pairing this delectable creamy chicken pot pie with our refreshing balsamic salad. Together, they create a harmonious combination that elevates your meal to a whole new level of culinary delight. So, gather your ingredients, follow our simple steps, and prepare to delight in the creamy goodness of this timeless favorite. Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 Whole Chicken Breasts 6 split, bone-in, skin-on
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- celery salt
- 5 cups Chicken Stock preferably homemade
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 medium Yellow Onion chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 3 stalks Celery diced
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 cup cognac or brandy optional
- 2 cups Medium-Diced Carrots 4 carrots
- 1 10-ounce package Peas (frozen, 2 cups, not defrosted)
- 1 ½ cups Small Whole Onions frozen, not defrosted
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley minced
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh thyme minced
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry frozen, defrosted in the fridge
- 1 Egg Mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan lined with parchment and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt pepper, and garlic salt and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until cooked through (temperature should read 165). Set aside until cool for 5 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, separate the meat, reserving any pan juices, and discard the bones and skin (or save to make a homemade stock). Dice the chicken into ¾ inch cubes. You should have between 4 to 6 cups of diced chicken.
- In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock until steaming. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes, until translucent. Deglaze with cognac and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock mixture, half of reserved pan juices, and simmer over low heat for one minute, stirring constantly, until thick. Add 2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and the cream. Stir in the chicken, peas, onions, thyme and parsley. Taste and add any additional seasonings to your taste. Spoon into a rectangular baking dish and place the dish on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Unfold a sheet of puff pastry on top of the chicken and vegetable mixture and cut the pastry to fit the dish. Cut 3 slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Brush the pastry with the egg wash and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the pastry is browned and the stew is bubbly and hot. Serve hot.