Last Updated on June 27, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
When it comes to comforting and satisfying soups, few can compare to the classic combination of potatoes and leeks. This Potato Leek Soup recipe is a soul-warming delight that is perfect for chilly days or when you simply crave a bowl of pure comfort. With its creamy texture, delicate flavors, and a hint of earthiness from the leeks, this soup is a true crowd-pleaser. Join us as we share our beloved Potato Leek Soup recipe and guide you through the process of creating a bowl of pure bliss. Enjoy!
Potato Leek Soup
- 1 lb. cleaned leeks sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- heavy pinch kosher salt
- 14 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes approximately, 3
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 Tbsp. snipped chives
- In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk, and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately.