Last Updated on September 5, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
The holiday season brings to mind cherished memories of crafting my Ula’s receta de Bunuelos — delicate, crisp fried pastry dusted with cinnamon sugar. Alongside my beloved mother and grandmother, I would stretch the dough impossibly thin. Mother rolled, then passed the tortilla to my Ula and me to stretch it as thin as possible. I’m estimating for every one Bunuelos I stretched, my Ula stretched 5! These sweet treats, reminiscent of churros, evoke nostalgia and love. Making these brings me back to that kitchen table amongst the women I loved most…. Today I carry on the tradition of sharing the art of making my Ula’s receta de Bunuelos with my children and grandchildren. Gather your family and friends and enjoy!
Receta de Bunuelos
- vegetable or canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
Make Cinnamon Tea
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, Boil water and cinnamon sticks reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes until you have a strong tea; set aside to cool slightly.
Make Sugar Topping
- In a wide, shallow dish, combine sugar and ground cinnamon to create the topping. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and eggs.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly stir in warm cinnamon tea just enough to make a smooth elastic dough; about 1/3 cup. Increase mixer speed and continue to knead until a smooth pliable dough forms, cover and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into equal sized balls weighing approximately 1.5 ounces each. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball into a very thin circle stretching to be as thin as possible. Set aside on a clean kitchen cloth and continue to stretch until almost transparent.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 15” skillet to 350 degrees. Once oil is at proper temperature, carefully add one piece of the stretched dough and cook until golden brown turning once. Transfer to baking rack to drain, dust both sides with cinnamon sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.