Last Updated on September 14, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
Indulge in the innovative and delightful flavors of our Smash Gyoza recipe, a modern twist on the classic Japanese dumpling. Say goodbye to the time-consuming task of meticulously folding each wrapper, as this deconstructed version simplifies the process while preserving the delicious essence of gyoza. Succulent pork filling, combined with fragrant garlic, ginger, and vibrant green onions, is pan-fried to perfection, creating a satisfying blend of savory and crispy textures. The result is a delightful fusion of Japanese flavors with a contemporary twist. Don’t forget to elevate the experience by serving our smash gyoza with our delectable dipping sauce, adding an extra layer of taste that will leave your taste buds dancing. Enjoy!
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallion onions
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 package circular gyoza wrappers
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Lay out gyoza wrappers 3 at a time, making sure to cover wrappers not being used with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out. Place a little under a tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper. Using the back of a spoon, gently spread out the filling over the middle of the wrapper leaving a small border of wrapper exposed.
- Heat a large pan (that has a lid) over medium heat. Add vegetable oil to pan. Place gyoza, meat side down into pan and cook until pork is browned (a couple of minutes). Flip gyoza over, add 2 tablespoons of water, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Cook until water has evaporated. Remove from pan and repeat with remaining gyoza. Serve hot with our delicious dipping sauce.