Last Updated on September 11, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
Experience the excitement and flavors of a Japanese steakhouse right in your own kitchen with our Japanese Steakhouse Style Steak and Veggies recipe. This recipe captures the essence of teppanyaki-style cooking, where sizzling steak and vibrant vegetables are skillfully prepared and served with flair. Prepare to be amazed as you recreate the delicious flavors and interactive dining experience of a Japanese steakhouse, bringing a touch of culinary theater to your home.
The Art of Teppanyaki Cooking: Teppanyaki-style cooking originated in Japan and is known for its entertaining and interactive approach. The focus is on grilling and searing ingredients on a flat iron griddle, allowing for precise heat control and intense flavors. Our recipe embraces this technique, resulting in perfectly seared steak and tender-crisp vegetables bursting with umami goodness.
We recommend serving this Japanese Steakhouse Style Steak and Veggies recipe with a delicious sweet ginger sauce. The sweet and tangy flavors of the ginger sauce perfectly complement the savory steak and vibrant vegetables, taking the dish to a whole new level of taste and enjoyment. Enjoy!
Japanese Steakhouse Style Steak and Veggies
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1-pound boneless rib-eye steaks 1½ to 1¾ inches thick, trimmed or substitute chicken breast
- 1 ¼ teaspoons white pepper divided
- 1 teaspoon table salt divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 zucchini 8 ounces each, halved lengthwise and sliced ¾ inch thick
- 2 onions cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed and halved if small or quartered if large
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Combine melted butter, soy sauce, and garlic in bowl; set aside. Pat steaks dry with paper towels and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon white pepper and ¾ teaspoon salt.
- Heat 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add oil to skillet and swirl to coat. Add steaks and cook, flipping steaks every 2 minutes, until well browned and meat registers 120 to 125 degrees (for medium-rare), 10 to 13 minutes. Transfer steaks to carving board, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest.
- While steaks rest, add zucchini, onions, mushrooms, remaining ¼ teaspoon white pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to fat left in skillet and stir to combine. Pat vegetables into even layer and cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir and continue to cook 2 minutes longer. Add mirin and 2 tablespoons soy-garlic butter to skillet and continue to cook until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are well browned, about 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer vegetables to serving platter. Slice steaks ¼ inch thick and transfer to platter with vegetables. Drizzle steaks with remaining soy-garlic butter. Serve.