Tom Ka Soup (Coconut Soup)
- 1 can 13.5 oz. coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. palm sugar substitute regular sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass outer layers removed, cut to 1 1⁄2 inch pieces, bruised
- 1 shallot cut in half and smashed
- 1-2 Thai chilies smashed
- 6 slices galangal
- 3 kaffir lime leaves torn into smaller pieces
- 1– 1 1⁄2 cup chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 2-3 cups button mushroom or oyster mushrooms sliced or torn
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce or 2 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce add 1⁄2 tsp. sugar if using soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. minced Thai Chilies or more for spicier soup
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- Combine sauce ingredients in bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sized pot combine stock with coconut milk. Bring to boil. Add galangal, lemongrass, one Thai chilies, shallots, and kaffir lime leaves. Add sugar and salt.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes, and then add chicken, simmer about 2 minutes, add mushrooms. Turn down the heat and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Add prepared sauce and serve.