Calabacita con Carne de Puerco (Pork and Zucchini Stew), Mexican comfort food made easy. This one pot meal is quick to pull together any day of the week. For a change, use chicken thighs or omit the protein all together for a vegetarian option. Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas and enjoy!
Calabacita con Carne de Puerco
- 3 lb. pork roast cut into bite size pieces (can substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion diced
- 5 roma tomatoes blended to puree
- 1 whole jalapeno
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 3 calabasita squash cut into half moons
- 1 cup frozen corn or more to taste
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large size pot oven over medium-high heat.
- Add oil. When oil begins to shimmer and is slightly smoking, add pork to pan cooking in batches to not overcrowd the pan. Let sit on one side for a couple of minutes until well browned, flip, and repeat. Note: Browned equals flavors, so make sure your meat is well browned before moving to the next step. As meat is browned, set aside in bowl until done cooking all batches.
- In the same saucepan, add back in all browned meat. Add chopped onions and jalapeno and cook until translucent. Add garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the calabasita squash and cook for 2 minutes to lightly brown. Add blended tomato and frozen corn.
- Season with 1/4 tsp. salt and add pepper. Lower heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes. Uncover, taste broth and add additional salt to taste. Serve and enjoy!