Homemade Sofrito is easy to make and adds so much flavor to your dishes. Use as a base for other recipes, add to a soup/stew as we do with our Authentic Black Beans, or use alone. When my family makes this, we always try to make a little extra to snack on as an appetizer spread over homemade crostini – yum!
- 1 cup white or yellow onion 230 grams, diced
- 4-5 roma tomatoes 530 grams, seeds removed & diced
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 green bell pepper 130 grams, diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onion, and 1/4 tsp. kosher salt. Sautee for 1-2 minutes until onions are slightly translucent. Add diced green bell pepper and continue cooking for additional 2 minutes. Add tomato and season with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Cook until tomatoes start to break down (about 5 minutes). The tomatoes will release liquid and as you cook it, it will begin to dry out. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock and continue to cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Once you see the stock has evaporated and is dried out, add the remaining stock, reduce the heat to low and continuing cooking for 5 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar and stir. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and correct seasoning as needed.