A quick one pan dish that makes a great vegetarian meal. When there are slim pickings in my fridge and pantry, I seem to always have the ingredients on hand to make Pappas con Queso. Serve with corn or fresh homemade flour tortillas!
Papas con Queso
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced into 1” cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 jalapeno or serrano pepper whole depending on how spicy you like your food
- 2 roma tomaotes
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup water
- 6 oz. grated cheese; Oaxaca Monterrey Jack or Mild Cheddar work well
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add, onions, jalapeno and potatoes; season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until potatoes are just tender (about 5 minutes) but not necessarily browned.
- Add blended tomato, water and bring to a gentle simmer. Taste for seasonings and correct if needed. Cover pan and reduce heat to medium low, cook for 15 – 20 minutes until potatoes are cooked through. Turn heat off, add grated cheese, cover and let rest for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas.
This is a great recipe to use up left over potatoes and leftover salsa. Dice cooked potatoes and heat through in your skillet, proceed with the recipe. If you have left over salsa, use that in place of the onion, tomato and jalapeno peppers.