Last Updated on June 27, 2023 by My Back Kitchen
Transport yourself to the sun-soaked shores of Sicily with a Sicilian Manhattan—a delightful twist on the classic cocktail that infuses the flavors of Italy into the timeless Manhattan recipe. This sophisticated libation combines the smoothness of bourbon whiskey with the aromatic sweetness of Averna Amaro Liqueur and the citrusy brightness of blood orange. The Sicilian Manhattan, sometimes referred to as a black manhattan, is a celebration of Italian heritage and craftsmanship, delivering a refined and enticing drinking experience.
Choose a high-quality bourbon or rye whiskey as the base spirit for your Sicilian Manhattan. The robust and complex flavors of whiskey provide a solid foundation for the cocktail and pair beautifully with the other ingredients. To delve deeper into our favorite bourbons, explore our comprehensive guide.
The star ingredient that gives this drink its distinctive character is the oil from the peel of a fresh orange. The vibrant citrus notes and slight tartness of the orange peel adds a refreshing and Mediterranean touch to the cocktail.
This cocktail draws inspiration from the island of Sicily, known for its vibrant culinary traditions and exquisite ingredients. This cocktail marries the essence of Sicilian flavors with the classic Manhattan cocktail, resulting in a delightful and unexpected combination. Enjoy!
- 1 oz. sweet vermouth
- 1 Luxardo cherry
- 1 slice fresh orange peel
- 1 oz. Averna Amaro Liqueur
- 2 oz. Bourbon good quality such as Maker's Mark
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Using a shaker, combine vermouth, bourbon, amaro, and bitters. Add ice and stir for 30-45 seconds. Strain and serve into your glass of choice. Add luxardo cherry. Garnish with fresh orange peel, expressing the oils over the glass before adding to your drink. For an extra special cocktail, try lightly flaming your orange peel with a kitchen torch to extract more orange flavor before expressing. Enjoy!