Spanish style braised chicken
Pollo al chilindrón, a perfect dish to try when looking for a new way to cook chicken. The chicken is tender and the sauce is flavorful and light. Our family loves serving this with Saffron Rice, pineapple, and black beans. This dish can be prepared in advance and is even better the next day. Enjoy!
Pollo a la Chilidron
- 6 chicken thighs bone and skin on
- 8 oz ham steak cubed
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- 1 lb. tomato seeded and chopped (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup bell pepper approximately ½ of one bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt approximately, plus a pinch or two as needed
- 1 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper approximately, plus a pinch or two as needed
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season chicken thighs with kosher salt, black pepper.
- Place chicken, skin side down and cook until golden brown; approximately 8 – 10 minutes; turn over and continue browning the other side about 5 minutes longer. Once chicken is browned, remove to a platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the cubed ham steak and cook until heated through and slightly browned; add to the platter with the chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Add chopped onions and green peppers and a pinch of salt. Continue to cook until onions are translucent; approximately 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, a pinch of salt, freshly ground pepper, minced garlic and continue to cook until the tomatoes are broken down. Taste the sauce for salt, pepper and correct seasonings if needed.
- Add chicken thighs, ham and any collected drippings to the sauce. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Taste the broth and correct seasonings (if needed).
- Cover the pan, reduce heat and continue to simmer the chicken for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with saffron rice and pineapple.