Spicy, sweet, and smoky – this is the ultimate red salsa recipe courtesy of our Uncle Joe – Enjoy!
Ultimate Red Salsa
- 10 Roma tomatoes halved
- 1 large whole jalapeno stem removed
- 3/4 red bell pepper seeds removed & cut into 2 in. pieces
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic skin removed
- 1 medium white onion quartered
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
- Move oven rack near the top of the oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, bell pepper, and garlic into an oven safe pan (preferably a cast iron skillet). Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Place in oven and cook until charred, flipping occasionally throughout the cook time.
- Place contents into a blender and set aside pan for later use. Pulse mixture until no large chunks are visible. Add remaining salt and fresh cilantro and pulse 3 more times until combined.
- Pour salsa back into pan and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, scrapping up any burnt bits from the bottom of the pan. Taste and add more salt to taste if needed. Enjoy!
This is one tasty salsa