Arroz con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
Servings 6 servings
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces
- 1 stick butter
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes blended
- 1 large jalapeno pepper
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- dash garlic salt
- Heat a 15" skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter. Once butter is melted add jalapeno pepper and onion.
- Using paper towels, pat chicken to remove excess moisture. Season both sides of chicken pieces with salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Place dark meat, skin side down in hot skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add white meat, skin side down and continue to cook all chicken pieces until golden brown. Turn chicken and continue to cook until browned on all sides. All chicken pieces should be skin side up before proceeding to next step.
- Add rice, blended tomato and boiling water. Taste the liquid and correct seasonings adding more salt if needed. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Continue to cook 15 – 20 minutes until rice is cooked through and most of the liquid has evaporated. Do not open until the end of cooking time. If the rice is ready. Turn heat off and leave covered and undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Serve with buttered peas and toasted french bread. Alternatively, serve with warm corn tortillas!
I’ve been looking for an authentic Arroz con Pollo recipe for a long time. Just made this and it came out perfect! Thanks for posting it!