Last Updated on January 6, 2024 by My Back Kitchen
Get ready to savor the iconic barbecue pulled pork sandwich, a beloved Texas classic that has captured the hearts of barbecue enthusiasts worldwide. We take tender pork shoulder, season it meticulously, and slow-cook it to perfection, achieving unparalleled succulence and flavor. The magic lies in the low and slow cooking method, rendering the pork incredibly tender with a melt-in-your-mouth texture by breaking down fat and collagen. Cooked on the renowned Big Green Egg for precise temperature control, it’s an easy setup for fantastic results. Served on a soft bun, the pulled pork is elevated with tangy barbecue sauce, crisp coleslaw, and pickles for a delightful contrast of textures and flavors. Beyond a mere meal, this pulled pork sandwich offers a culinary experience, from the first savory bite to the last, with a symphony of smoky, sweet, and savory notes that embody the diverse flavors of Texas barbecue. So, roll up your sleeves and dive into this iconic delight! Enjoy!
Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 8 lb. bone-in pork shoulder
- 1-2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. course ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- Prepare your grill or smoker with plenty of charcoal and bring to 250 degrees.
- While grill is heating up, prepare your seasoning mixture by mixing all dry ingredients together. Rub pork butt with vegetable oil. Season the entire pork butt generously with the prepared seasoning blend.
- Cook for 10 hours or until the pork butt reaches an internal temperature of 202 degrees. Remove and shred meat.