Pollo Con Rajas (Chicken with Peppers and Onions)
- 6 chicken breasts boneless & skinless
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (white or yellow) thinly sliced
- 2 1/4 lbs. chiles poblano roasted and cleaned
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cut chicken breasts into 1in. wide strips. Season them well with salt and pepper.
- In a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom (oven safe) pan, heat your butter and oil together. Once hot, quickly sauté the chicken filets until they are lightly browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the onions gently until softened. Peal and clean the chile poblanos. Set aside three whole poblanos. Cut the remaining peppers into thin strips (rajas). Add the rajas to the onion in the pan, cover, and continue to cook over medium high heat for 8 minutes.
- Add the seared chicken along with any juices to the onion/poblanos and flip until evenly distributed.
- In a blender, combine sour cream, milk, 3 reserved poblano peppers, and salt until smooth.
- Pour sour cream mixture over chicken and gently mix until fully combined and all chicken pieces are covered.
- Top with monterey jack cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbling and cheese is slightly browned.
We recommend serving this with our Mexican White Rice with Corn, Black Beans, and corn tortillas!